Ajou News

NEW Ajou ranks 90th on QS Top 50 Under 50

  • 2020-07-07
  • 498
 
This year, Ajou University came in 90th place on the QS Top 50 Under 50 rankings.
 
In addition to ranking all universities worldwide annually, Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) also ranks new and emerging universities less than 50 years old. Ajou was ranked between the 91st and 100th places, stepping up from the 101st to 150th league in which it found itself last year.
 
Nanyang Technological University in Singapore topped the Top 50 Under 50 list this year, followed by Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. Of Korean universities, the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), and Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST) found themselves among the top 50 (ranking 3rd, 7th, and 30th, respectively).
 
QS has been announcing the Top 50 Under 50 rankings since 2012. The company disclosed the list of the top 150 universities under 50 this year.
 
The QS World University Rankings assesses over 5,500 universities worldwide every year. Ajou was ranked in the 551st to 560th range this year, climbing up over 100 places from two years ago and showing the most dramatic rise among all Korean universities.
 
QS World University Rankings ranks universities worldwide across four categories—research, education, globalization, and graduates—using six metrics. Academic reputation, based on the opinions of over 100,000 researchers and scholars worldwide (40 percent) and employer reputation, based on assessment by over 50,000 industry insiders (10 percent), together make up 50 percent of the score. The other metrics are faculty-student ratio (20 percent), international faculty ratio (five percent), international student ratio (five percent), and number of citations per faculty (20 percent) based on the SCOPUS database.
 
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) topped this year’s rankings, followed by Stanford University, Harvard University, the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), and the University of Oxford. The National University of Singapore (11th) was the highest-ranking Asian university, followed by Nanyang Technological University (13th), Tsinghua University (15th), the University of Hong Kong (22nd), and Peking University (23rd).
 
# Source of photograph: QS website